My Dog Ate Ibuprofen and is Fine?

If you’re a dog owner, you know that dogs will often eat things that they shouldn’t. Whether it’s a sock, a toy, or even something toxic, it’s important to be aware of what your dog is getting into and how to react if they do ingest something harmful.

One common household item that can be dangerous for dogs is ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that is commonly used for pain relief in humans. It’s important to keep this medication out of reach of your pets, as it can be toxic if ingested in large amounts.

But what do you do if your dog accidentally eats some ibuprofen? While it’s always important to seek veterinary care if your dog ingests anything toxic, there are some things you can do to help mitigate the effects of the ibuprofen on your dog’s body.

First, it’s important to determine how much ibuprofen your dog ingested. If you know the dosage and the size of your dog, you can use this information to determine the potential severity of the situation.

If you’re unsure of how much ibuprofen your dog ingested, or if you’re concerned about their symptoms, it’s always best to call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. They can help you determine the appropriate course of action based on your dog’s size, the amount ingested, and any symptoms they may be experiencing.

If your dog has only recently ingested the ibuprofen and is showing no signs of illness, your veterinarian may recommend inducing vomiting to remove the medication from your dog’s system. This can be done using a hydrogen peroxide solution, but it’s important to only do this under the guidance of a veterinarian or poison control center.

If your dog is showing symptoms of ibuprofen toxicity, such as vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, or lethargy, your veterinarian may recommend hospitalization for treatment. Treatment may include medications to control vomiting and diarrhea, intravenous fluids to support kidney function, and medications to protect the stomach lining.

It’s important to remember that ibuprofen is just one of many household items that can be toxic to dogs. To keep your furry friend safe, it’s important to keep all medications, cleaning products, and other toxic substances out of reach of your pets.

If you do suspect that your dog has ingested something toxic, don’t delay in seeking veterinary care. The sooner your dog receives treatment, the better their chances of a full recovery.

How much Advil will kill your dog??? | Ibuprofen Toxicity in dogs
HELP US PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE

Hannah Elizabeth is an English animal behavior author, having written for several online publications. With a degree in Animal Behaviour and over a decade of practical animal husbandry experience, Hannah's articles cover everything from pet care to wildlife conservation. When she isn't creating content for blog posts, Hannah enjoys long walks with her Rottweiler cross Senna, reading fantasy novels and breeding aquarium shrimp.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to Top