Dental chews are a popular way to maintain oral health in dogs and cats. They come in various shapes, sizes and formulations, and can help remove plaque and tartar, freshen breath, and promote overall dental hygiene. But with so many options on the market, it can be difficult to know which dental chews are the most effective. In this blog post, we will discuss some of the dental chews that veterinarians recommend based on research and studies.
- Greenies Dental Chews – Greenies are a well-known brand of dental chews that have been clinically proven to help reduce plaque and tartar buildup. They come in various sizes and formulations, including original, senior and smartbites. They are made with natural ingredients and are easily digestible, making them a safe and effective option for dogs.
- CET Enzymatic Chews – CET Enzymatic Chews are another popular option recommended by veterinarians. They are formulated with enzymes that help break down plaque and tartar, and are available in various flavors such as chicken, beef, and seafood. They are also made with natural ingredients and are easily digestible.
- Dental Kongs – Dental Kongs are a unique type of chew that can help promote dental health. They are made of durable rubber and are designed to be chewed and gnawed on. They come in various sizes and can be filled with treats to make them more appealing. The chewing action helps to scrape off plaque and tartar, and the rubber material helps to massage the gums.
- Oral-B Pro-Health Stages Chews – Oral-B Pro-Health Stages Chews are designed for puppies and adult dogs. They are formulated with a unique texture that helps to clean teeth and freshen breath. They are also made with natural ingredients and are easily digestible. They come in various flavors such as chicken, beef, and bacon.
- Nylabone Dura Chew Textured Ring – Nylabone Dura Chew Textured Ring is a long-lasting chew that can help maintain good oral health. They are made of durable nylon and have a unique texture that helps to scrape off plaque and tartar. They come in various flavors such as chicken, bacon, and peanut butter, and come in different sizes to suit dogs of different sizes.
It is always important to consult with your veterinarian before introducing any new chews or treats to your pet’s diet, especially if they have any pre-existing health conditions. Additionally, it is important to supervise your pet while they are chewing and to replace chews once they become small enough to be swallowed. By following these guidelines and considering the dental chews listed above, you can help keep your pet’s teeth and gums healthy.