My Dog Ate a Grape: How Long After Eating Grapes Will a Dog Get Sick?

It is a well-known fact among dog owners that grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs. The higher the quantity of ingested grapes, the more severe the reaction is likely to be.

Can a dog eat grapes and be fine?

My dog ate grapes but seems fine

If your dog ate grapes and is acting fine, then there’s probably no need to worry. However, if your dog seems sick, has vomited, or has diarrhea, then you should take him to the vet.

Will my dog be OK if he ate one grape?

There may be some mild GI upset for the next day or so, but most dogs will pass the grape without any complications.

I’d monitor him closely for any vomiting or diarrhea. If he starts to become uncomfortable, you may want to try an over-the-counter antacid like Pepcid AC. If he seems ill, then please consider having him seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.

What symptoms do dogs get after eating grapes?

These symptoms are what you should look out for if your dog has eaten grapes. Even one grape could have an adverse effect on your dog’s health.

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Panting
  • Pale gums
  • Increased thirst
  • Abdominal pain
  • Kidney failure

Every dog is different and their reactions to the toxins in grapes will also be different. One dog may experience a short bout of diarrhea, while another may suffer dehydration, vomiting and weakness.

Unfortunately, it is still not known which part of the grape causes the toxicity, so even peeled or seedless grapes should be avoided.

What should I do if my dog ate grapes?

Your response is dependent on a few factors. Firstly, how many grapes did your dog eat? If they only got hold of one grape, you do not need to immediately rush to the vet. However, if your dog ate several grapes, it is best to call your veterinarian and ask for their advice.

The next important thing to consider is your dog’s reaction. If your dog appears fine, there is no need to worry. Simply keep a close eye on your dog for the next 24 hours and ensure they have access to water. A dog’s digestive system works quite quickly. They can digest a full meal in as little as 4-6 hours, so a grape will take much less time.

If your dog has no adverse reaction after 24 hours of eating a grape, then it is safe to believe that they have not suffered any side effects. If you begin to notice symptoms of toxic ingestion, write them down. If they persist or get worse, you will be able to tell your veterinarian exactly what happened.

Your veterinarian will most likely advise that you induce vomiting to expel the grapes from your dog’s stomach. This is not a pleasant experience, but it is necessary to prevent further illness. Depending on your dog’s size and general health, your veterinarian will talk you through the best way to do this.

They will most likely advise that you give your dog activated charcoal. You can buy this from most health stores, large supermarkets, vet surgeries, or pet stores. Activated charcoal is great for sensitive stomachs and is often prescribed for dogs with allergies or severe dietary issues.

In the worse cases, your dog will need to be taken to the vet immediately, where they will receive intravenous fluids over the course of a few days. The best medicine now is rest. Keep your dog calm and relaxed and allow them to sleep as much as they want.

Provided you sought medical advice quickly, your dog will most likely recover within 2 or 3 days.

Conclusion of dogs eating grapes

Grapes and raisins are on the ASPCA’s list of foods that are toxic to pets. It is not known what ingredient in the grapes causes the toxicity, nor is there a known minimum amount that could cause toxicity. This means that even a small amount can pose a risk of illness.

The first symptom seen after ingestion is vomiting, and then within 12 hours, your dog may develop symptoms of acute kidney failure. These signs include:

  • lethargy
  • loss of appetite
  • increased thirst and urination
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • dehydration

At this time, no individual factors appear to predict which dogs will develop kidney failure and which will not. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that all dogs with grape or raisin toxicity be treated aggressively.

15 Toxic Foods Dogs And Cats Should Never Eat
HELP US PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE
Loading RSS Feed

Hannah Elizabeth is an English animal behavior author, having written for several online publications. With a degree in Animal Behaviour and over a decade of practical animal husbandry experience, Hannah's articles cover everything from pet care to wildlife conservation. When she isn't creating content for blog posts, Hannah enjoys long walks with her Rottweiler cross Senna, reading fantasy novels and breeding aquarium shrimp.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to Top