My dog ate chewing gum off the floor, should I be worried?
Dogs investigate everything with their mouths and that often results in them eating things that they really shouldn’t. Many dogs eat gum and seem fine, while others can become ill very quickly.
Can a dog survive eating chewing gum?
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is used as an artificial sweetener. It is found in many brands of chewing gum and mints, as well as some medications. Xylitol is not toxic to humans, but in dogs, it can cause severe health problems. It has been reported that even small amounts of xylitol can cause death in dogs.
Does chewed gum still have xylitol?
Chewed gum still has xylitol, but the concentration will be much lower than before chewing. The 5-minute chewed gum samples retain about 4% of the original xylitol in a fresh one.
Is gum with xylitol bad for dogs?
Ordinary gum usually contains refined sugar or variations of such, which are not harmful. Sugar-free gum is generally produced with Xylitol, which is a sugar substitute. Xylitol is toxic to dogs and can cause hypoglycemia, liver failure, seizures, and even death.
As low as 50 mg of Xylitol per pound of body weight is enough to cause hypoglycemia. Higher doses will cause liver damage to occur which can develop into liver failure if left untreated. One piece of unchewed gum is enough to cause symptoms in a dog weighing 10 pounds.
It is vital that you contact your vet immediately if your dog ate gum containing Xylitol as symptoms can develop quickly and there is no antidote for it. The longer Xylitol is in your dog’s bloodstream, the more damage it will cause. Even if your dog shows no symptoms, you should still call your vet.
Is sorbitol safe for dogs?
If the gum contained Sorbitol, Mannitol, or Aspartame, your dog should suffer no ill effects as these substances are not toxic to dogs. They may experience loose stool or diarrhea shortly after, but this should resolve itself within 12-24 hours.
What to do if a dog eats gum with xylitol?
After checking the ingredients to determine whether the gum contains Xylitol, there are a few things you should do.
Firstly, call your vet if your dog shows any changes in behavior or appears unwell. They may advise bringing your dog in to induce vomiting just to be safe.
Monitor your dog for any of these symptoms:
- Pale gums
- Lack of coordination
You should take your dog to the vet immediately if he exhibits any of these symptoms. The sooner he receives treatment, the better his prognosis will be.
If your dog has eaten gum that does not contain Xylitol, you need to monitor them for a couple of hours, but they should not experience any ill effects.
How long does it take for xylitol to affect dogs?
It takes about 15 minutes for xylitol to affect a dog. However, it can take up to 1 hour for your dog to show the symptoms.
Conclusion of dogs eating gum with xylitol
Ingestion of gum containing xylitol can result in hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and liver damage, which may lead to death. The most common symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, and weakness.
If you suspect your dog has eaten xylitol, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. The vet will likely induce vomiting and give your dog activated charcoal to absorb any remaining xylitol.