Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) found in many over-the-counter medications including Advil, Midol, Nurofen and Motrin, as well as many common prescription-strength drugs.
Symptoms of ibuprofen poisoning in dogs
When this mucosal barrier is damaged, dogs can suffer many side effects such as:
- vomiting (possible with blood)
- chronic nausea
- diarrhea (possibly with blood)
- lack of appetite
- gastric ulcers
- increased thirst
- kidney damage
- kidney failure
- disruption to normal blood flow
- loss of coordination
Will 200 mg of ibuprofen hurt my dog?
Doses as low as 25 mg/kg or 12mg/lb have been reported to cause vomiting in dogs. At doses greater than 175 mg/kg or 85mg/lb, the risk of acute renal failure in dogs increases dramatically.
At doses greater than 400 mg/kg or 200mg/lb, central nervous system effects can be seen in dogs including depression, seizures and coma.
The minimum lethal dose varies widely from dog to dog depending on the health status of the animal and the amount ingested. The lowest reported lethal dose was 600 mg/kg or 300mg/lb.
Can a dog survive eating ibuprofen?
Ibuprofen can be extremely harmful or even fatal to a dog if given in high doses. It will cause stomach ulcers and other gastrointestinal problems, as well as damage the kidneys and liver.
How long does it take for ibuprofen to make a dog sick?
Within 12 hours after ingestion, signs of toxicity can begin to appear in dogs. The lower the dosage, the safer it is for your dog. The primary toxicity of this drug is ulcers and bleeding in the stomachs of all animals.
If you suspect that your dog has ingested ibuprofen, contact your veterinarian immediately. If you wait too long before seeking veterinary help, ibuprofen poisoning can lead to serious complications within the body.
What can I do if my dog ate ibuprofen?
Symptoms of Ibuprofen toxicity can occur quite quickly after ingestion, so you should call your vet as soon as you know or suspect your dog to have eaten Ibuprofen or any medication containing it.
If ingestion was very recent (only minutes ago) your vet may advise you to induce vomiting or ask you to bring your dog to the surgery so they can induce vomiting. You should never do this without veterinary advice.
Take the Ibuprofen or medication containing it with you to the vet surgery so they can see the dosage. This will enable them to accurately calculate the dosage of medication needed to treat your dog.
At the surgery, the vet will take a blood and urine sample to check your dog’s kidney function. They will also check for gastrointestinal damage and any neurological signs of Ibuprofen toxicity.
To ensure all the Ibuprofen has been absorbed or eliminated from your dog’s system, the vet may give them activated charcoal. In more serious cases they will perform a gastric lavage (stomach pumping).
If kidney damage has occurred, your dog may require blood or plasma transfusions and fluid therapy. Veterinarians may also prescribe anticonvulsant medications if your dog has suffered any seizures since eating Ibuprofen.
Never give your dog human medication, even if you think it is safe or someone has told you so. Dogs should only be given medication by a veterinarian as it has been thoroughly tested.
How do you induce vomiting in a dog who ate ibuprofen?
There are two main ways to make a dog throw up – using hydrogen peroxide (3%) or Apomorphine.
- Hydrogen peroxide 3-percent solution is the recommended medication for making a dog throw up at home.
- Apomorphine (a subcutaneous injection) is more effective at inducing vomiting in dogs than hydrogen peroxide.
Please note that it can be very dangerous to give your dog aspirin, ibuprofen or other human medications. These are designed to treat pain in humans but can be fatal to dogs. Call your vet immediately if you think that your dog has taken any of these medications.
Is hydrogen peroxide safe for vomiting?
When treating your dog with hydrogen peroxide, you need to make sure that you are using a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. This is the only concentration that will be safe for your pet. Any other concentration can cause a great deal of damage to their digestive tract and other organs such as their bladder and kidneys.
If you suspect that your dog has ingested too much hydrogen peroxide at once, you should contact your veterinarian immediately to prevent further complications from occurring.
My dog ate ibuprofen and died
“My 5-year-old Golden Retriever weighs around 100 lbs. He was unresponsive, couldn’t walk, and panting excessively. I took him to the vet where they informed me he had DIED of an ibuprofen overdose. I have no idea how he got into my bottle of Advil, but the cap was off. I am devastated. Hang on to your medication! Don’t assume that your pet is safe from your medication just because you keep it out of reach!”
“My dog ate ibuprofen a few hours ago. He’s a 29lb mutt and he should have been fine but he started throwing up immediately. I couldn’t get him to eat or drink, so I made an emergency vet appointment for 7 am this morning. By the time I got there, it was too late, he died in my arms. Toxic levels of ibuprofen can be fatal to dogs and cats. Always keep your pills out of reach of your pets.”
Why do dogs eat ibuprofen?
Dogs often do not like taking medication when they need to, but they seem to have an eager interest in eating human medication.
Most pills designed for us have a sugar coating to make swallowing much easier. It is this sweet-smelling coating that dogs are attracted to. Your dog does not know what they are eating, only that it smells good.
Keeping your medication in a secure container or medicine cabinet will prevent your dog from gaining access to any pills and will keep him safe from poisoning.