Are Raisins Safe for Dogs to Eat?

Raisins may be small, but they can cause a big problem for your pet. Raisin toxicity, or grape and raisin poisoning, occurs when a dog eats grapes or raisins. The sooner you intervene when this happens, the better your dog’s chances are of recovering without any long-term complications.

Dog ate raisins and is fine

My dog ate raisins and is fine

Some dogs can eat a whole handful of raisins and be fine, while others may seem fine immediately after, but suffer symptoms a day or two later. If your dog has eaten raisins but seems fine, you should still call your vet and ask for advice.

Will a few raisins hurt my dog?

Dried fruits such as raisins are believed to cause serious adverse effects on a dog’s health so you should avoid all varieties to keep your dog safe.

Fruit of the Vitis Vinifera can cause toxicity in dogs that may lead to acute renal failure or even death if left untreated. This is why it is recommended that you do not let your dog eat grapes, raisins, or other grapevine fruits, even with the skin removed.

What are the symptoms of raisin poisoning in dogs?

The classic signs of the poisoning of vomiting and diarrhea are to be expected if your dog eats raisins, however, you should also watch for the following:

  • Increased drinking
  • Increased urination
  • Blood in urine and/or feces
  • Lack of appetite
  • Drooling
  • Poor balance
  • Lethargy/weakness

Any of these symptoms warrants a check-up from your vet to ensure your dog does not suffer any long-term effects. Your vet may advise you to induce vomiting if you cannot get to the vet quickly, but you should never do this without consulting a vet.

Symptoms typically present themselves within 6 to 10 hours of your dog eating the raisins, but this could differ depending on your dog’s size, breed, age, and overall health. Kidney failure can occur within 24 hours, which is why getting veterinary advice quickly is so important.

What to do if my dog ate raisins

The most important thing you should do is to remove the raisins so your dog cannot eat anymore, then call your vet or the out-of-hours number for advice.

If your dog only ate one or two raisins you should call your vet for advice. They may advise you to keep an eye on your dog for the next few hours if they seem well and to watch for any changes in behavior. You can request an appointment if you want to get your dog checked over anyway.

A check-up is vital if your dog has eaten more than a couple of raisins and you should do so as soon as possible. Raisin poisoning can quickly overwhelm a dog, especially puppies, elder dogs, or those with weakened immune systems.

Take a sample of what your dog ate and the box or packaging if you still have it. This will give the vet a better idea of how much your dog has eaten and what care he may need.

Your dog may eat raisins and not suffer any noticeable side effects, but it is best to keep an eye on him the few days after he ate them in case he develops any symptoms.

How do you induce vomiting in dogs after eating raisins?

There are two methods: hydrogen peroxide (3%) or apomorphine (a subcutaneous injection). Both are effective at making a dog throw up, but apomorphine is more effective at inducing vomiting than hydrogen peroxide.

If you have a dog at home, it is always better to keep a hydrogen peroxide 3-percent solution in your kitchen.

Apomorphine comes as an injection and must be administered by a vet.

Before attempting to make your dog vomit, call your veterinarian or emergency veterinary clinic for advice. Most importantly, always call before administering any medication or treatment to your pet under any circumstances.

My dog ate raisins and died

“My dog ate raisins, and then he died. I’m pretty sure it was the raisins that killed him because he never did anything wrong before he ate those stupid raisins. I’m not a veterinarian or anything, but it just seems like common sense to me.”

“My two-year-old puppy ate a handful of raisins and died. I’m not sure if it was the grapes but she was vomiting and convulsing before she died. I want to let everyone know that even small amounts of grapes or raisins can kill dogs.”

“I just lost my pet due to raisins. I am a mother of two and work hard to keep my family and home in order. I was completely shocked that this could happen from a simple snack that I left out for my dog. It is very important to me that everyone is aware of the potential dangers of giving their beloved pets human foods.”

“I personally have never had a dog that ate raisins, but I have heard stories from friends and family, who have told me heartbreaking tales of their dogs’ deaths after eating raisins.”

Conclusion of dogs eating raisins

Raisins are toxic to dogs. Dogs can become very sick and possibly die from eating raisins.

Symptoms of raisin poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and loss of appetite. If you suspect your dog has eaten any amount of grapes or raisins, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Raisin poisoning can be fatal if left untreated so it is important to act quickly if you suspect your dog has eaten any amount of grapes or raisins.

15 Toxic Foods Dogs And Cats Should Never Eat
HELP US PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE

Hannah Elizabeth is an English animal behavior author, having written for several online publications. With a degree in Animal Behaviour and over a decade of practical animal husbandry experience, Hannah's articles cover everything from pet care to wildlife conservation. When she isn't creating content for blog posts, Hannah enjoys long walks with her Rottweiler cross Senna, reading fantasy novels and breeding aquarium shrimp.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to Top