While it sounds like a complex and difficult surgery, tumor removal from the eyelid is relatively straightforward and not particularly invasive.
Dog eye tumor removal cost
The cost for an eyelid tumor removal is between $150 and $350. The biggest cost comes from pre-op tests such as bloodwork and urinalysis, as well as the consultation fee.
There are also animal charities that help dog owners on low incomes secure low-cost veterinary care or help towards paying vet fees.
How long does dog eyelid surgery take to heal?
The eyelid takes about five days to heal after surgery. Your vet will prescribe antibiotics and pain-relief medication for your pet, which should be taken orally every day for one or two weeks.
It is also likely that your pet will have to wear an Elizabethan collar for a few days. This is a plastic cone that prevents them from scratching or rubbing their eye, which could cause the stitches to come loose prematurely.
How can I help my dog with an eyelid tumor?
Eyelid tumors are more commonly seen in older dogs, but they can affect any age or breed.
The most important thing you can do to help your dog is to keep the eye clean. Dogs spend a lot of time close to the ground, so it is easy for dirt, grass seeds, and other contaminants to get into the eye and cause irritation or infection.
Any veterinarian or dog groomer can show you how to correctly clean your dog’s eye.
To clean your dog’s eyes, you will need a specially formulated dog eyewash, cotton pads and treats.
Start by gently cleaning around your dog’s eyes so they get used to the sensation. Remember to verbally praise them and give a small treat when they are calm.
Gently squeeze a drop or 2 of the eyewash into the corner of each eye, then use the cotton pad to gently wipe around and over the eye. Your dog will need reassurance the first few times.
You should also stick to the dosage of any pain medication that your veterinarian prescribes after surgery.
What can I expect after my dog’s eye surgery?
The swelling will go down and the socket will flatten out. Your dog may have trouble seeing out of that eye for a few days. He or she may be more sensitive to light for a few weeks after surgery as well.
Here are some tips for helping your pet through this time:
Keep the area clean. Your veterinarian will give you specific instructions on how to keep your pet’s surgical site clean.
Give your pet plenty of rest. Your dog will need plenty of rest while his or her body heals from this surgery. Keep him or her quiet and in a cool, dark place for at least a week after surgery.
Dogs with stitches should not be allowed to run or play until all of their stitches are removed.
Pain medication can be given as needed to keep your pet comfortable during this time.
Are eyelid tumors on dogs cancerous?
Eyelid tumors on dogs, commonly known as eyelid cysts, are common in both dogs and cats. An estimated 75% of all eyelid tumors in dogs are benign. However, the remaining 25% are typically cancerous, so it’s important to have a vet examine them.
If left untreated, some eyelid tumors can become malignant. If you notice a lump on your dog’s eyelid, contact your veterinarian for further evaluation and treatment options.
Are eyelid tumors in dogs painful?
There are different tumor types that can affect the eyelid. Some are directly attached to the tissue of the eyelid, while others are located on or within the eye, but have a secondary effect on the eyelid.
Tumors located within or behind the eye can cause severe swelling, pushing the eyeball forward and affecting the cornea within the eye and the eyelid. This is an uncomfortable condition but is not expected to be painful, provided treatment is given quickly.
The most common condition is benign nodular tumors. They are often confused for corneal tumors, which are uncommon in dogs. In some cases, the tumor can be a malignant mass, but these are usually superficial, and surgery to remove the mass is generally successful.
The surgery to remove the tumor from the eyelid can cause minor residual pain as the surgery incision heals, but this is usually managed well with prescribed painkillers. A veterinarian may also prescribe antibiotics to prevent infection.
Dogs have an inner lid, which closes from side to side below the outer eyelids. This inner eyelid helps to prevent dirt and debris from entering the eye and keeps the eye from drying out. It is fairly common for older dogs to get benign tumors on their inner eyelid.