Mold Toxicity in Dogs

Poisoning due to mold exposure may not be common knowledge when it comes to canines. However, this is because it isn’t something that gets a lot of attention. Dogs are as vulnerable to certain types of molds as humans are. But can mold kill a dog?

Mold Killed My Dog

“My 3-year-old dog, a Rottweiler named Sammi, died from mold. Although I had been suspicious of mold exposure as the cause of her death for several months, it wasn’t until I received the results of my own ERMI testing that I was able to get confirmation from reliable sources in the medical community.”

“My miniature poodle named Mr. T passed away from mold poisoning. I had been sick for a while and it turns out that mold was the cause of many of my health problems as well. I found two spots of mold in my house when we first moved in but did not think much about it since I assumed that the cleaning crew would take care of it. They did not and within a few months, four people (including myself) in my family were having respiratory issues and headaches on a regular basis. My dog became very ill and could barely walk or eat without throwing up. We found mold in the attic when we had an air quality test performed by a local HVAC company. At first, they said they had never seen so much mold in their lives and later told me that the attic was covered in the black mold which poses serious health risks to humans and animals alike.”

Mold killed my dog?

Mold exposure can be deadly to dogs, so getting rid of a mold problem is an important step towards protecting you and your pets.

Inhaling mold spores or coming into contact with mold can trigger allergic reactions and respiratory problems in dogs. In severe cases, it can even cause fatality.

While you might think that only certain breeds or animals with compromised immune systems are susceptible to toxic mold exposure, the truth is that any dog could be affected by it.

Unfortunately, if your dog has been exposed to a large amount of mold over an extended period of time, it could result in death. This is especially true for breeds like pugs or other flat-faced dogs because they have breathing issues already.

Dogs can be exposed to mold in a number of ways, but one of the main ones is through the food your dog eats. If you’re feeding your dog dry kibble, there’s a good chance that it could have been sitting for long periods of time before it reached your pet. Most dry foods contain preservatives to keep them from going bad; however, if they do get moldy, it’s often not visible on the surface because the preservatives will keep them from changing color.

How toxic is mold to dogs?

Mold, and the mycotoxins found in it, can be toxic to dogs depending on the type of mold and the amount your dog is exposed to. These toxins are what make your dog sick and can even kill pets.

When mold spores are inhaled by a dog, they may cause allergies, cold-like symptoms, or neurological problems. Mycotoxins can also affect a dog’s liver and kidney function.

Dogs like to eat, so there’s always a chance that they’ll come across some mold. If you’re concerned about your dog eating moldy food, here’s what you need to know about the health effects of eating moldy food.

Abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, poor appetite, and lethargy can all occur when pets eat foods contaminated by mold. Symptoms usually begin within hours of ingestion but may take up to a few days to show up.

If you suspect your pet has eaten something with mold on it or has been exposed to large amounts of spores in their environment, it is important to see your veterinarian right away.

Some species of mold produce mycotoxins which can cause poisoning and lead to death if not treated quickly. The most common type of mycotoxin poisoning in pets is black mold (Stachybotrys Chartarum) which produces tremors, seizures, and death.

What are the signs of mold toxicity?

If your dog has been exposed to a toxic mold, he will likely experience respiratory complications. The exact symptoms will vary depending on the type of mold he’s ingested or inhaled. However, signs that indicate your dog has been poisoned by a toxic mold include:

  • Coughing
  • Sneezing
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Irritation to the skin and eyes
  • Nasal discharge

If you notice any of these symptoms in your pet, take them to the vet immediately.

How do you treat mold poisoning in dogs?

When a dog is diagnosed with mold poisoning it is important that he sees a veterinarian right away so he can receive supportive care at a hospital, including the management of respiratory symptoms and the administering of IV fluids for dehydration from gastric distress.

While many dogs will recover with proper treatment, some may die if their immune systems are too weak to fight infection.

The treatment for mold poisoning in dogs depends on the symptoms that are present. The most common symptoms are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive drooling or salivation. These are caused by gastrointestinal irritation from mycotoxins. Other symptoms that can occur include difficulty breathing or coughing along with wheezing and hacking. In rare cases, a dog may experience neurologic symptoms such as depression, tremors, and seizures.

Mold on dog skin

Mold on dog skin is a type of fungal infection that occurs when a dog is exposed to damp conditions over a period of time. Mold on dogs may appear as a rash, hair loss, dry skin, or itchy skin.

Mold on dog skin is very irritating and potentially contagious. Your poor dog will try to scratch, lick and chew to get relief from the itchiness, but the only way to really treat it is to get the mold off his skin and eliminate the cause of the mold growth.

Your vet can prescribe medication or recommend home remedies to treat your dog’s skin condition. After the infection is gone, however, it’s important to clean any areas where mold was found so it doesn’t come back.

In addition to cleaning any items with mold on them, you’ll need to take care that his skin is kept clean and dry. If he develops redness in other areas of his body after being outside, you may need to bathe him more frequently or use medicated shampoos.

Mold on dog skin may be more common in dogs with other health problems such as allergies, immune system dysfunction and immune-mediated diseases. Dogs with a weakened immune system caused by poor nutrition, parasites or other health problems are more likely to develop mold on dog skin.

Mold infections are also common in puppies because their immune systems have not yet developed the defenses needed to fight off fungal infections.

Symptoms of mold on dog skin include:

  • Hair loss
  • Dry skin
  • Itchy skin
  • Inflammation
  • Skin rashes

Conclusion of mold poisoning in dogs

Mold poisoning can affect the health of both humans and animals. It is a common problem in dogs and can cause serious complications.

If your dog is showing any symptoms of mold poisoning, you should take it to a vet immediately. The vet will identify the type of mold responsible for the toxicity through a blood test and prescribe treatment accordingly.

Molds are fungi that are usually found in damp places or places with high humidity. There are different types of molds and each type produces mycotoxins which can be harmful to pets.

Dogs tend to eat just about anything, so they are more susceptible to eating moldy food or drinking water from an infected source. Mold poisoning may result from drinking contaminated water or eating food like bread, cheese, and peanut butter.

Mold poisoning in dogs is not easy to diagnose because the symptoms that it causes are similar to those caused by other similar illnesses.

The most common symptom of mold poisoning is diarrhea, but there are also other symptoms that can indicate that your dog has been poisoned with mold spores: vomiting, coughing or wheezing, runny eyes and nose, sneezing, lethargy, and depression.

Don’t forget that your dog may be allergic to the mold, even if it does not contain mycotoxins. Your vet will prescribe medication for any allergic reaction your dog has to the mold.

What Happens If You Eat Mold?
HELP US PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE
Loading RSS Feed

Hannah Elizabeth is an English animal behavior author, having written for several online publications. With a degree in Animal Behaviour and over a decade of practical animal husbandry experience, Hannah's articles cover everything from pet care to wildlife conservation. When she isn't creating content for blog posts, Hannah enjoys long walks with her Rottweiler cross Senna, reading fantasy novels and breeding aquarium shrimp.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to Top