10 Best 24 Hour Animal Hospitals Near Me
As a loving pet parent, you know that accidents and emergencies can happen at any time. Whether it’s a late-night illness or a weekend mishap, it’s crucial to have access to a 24-hour animal hospital nearby. To help you find the perfect place to care for your furry friend, we’ve compiled a list of the top national chains that offer round-the-clock care. This guide is designed to solve your pet-related problems and put your mind at ease, so you and your pet can be happy and healthy.
1. VCA Animal Hospitals – Nationwide Excellence in Pet Care
- Over 1,000 locations across the United States
- Round-the-clock emergency services
- State-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment facilities
- Board-certified veterinary specialists on staff
- Wellness and preventative care services also available
2. Banfield Pet Hospital – Quality Care for Your Furry Friend
- Over 1,000 locations, primarily within PetSmart stores
- 24-hour emergency care at select locations
- Comprehensive wellness plans available for all life stages
- Thorough preventive care to ensure your pet’s ongoing health
- Telemedicine appointments for non-emergency situations
3. BluePearl Specialty and Emergency Pet Hospital – Advanced Care for Complex Cases
- Over 90 locations throughout the United States
- 24/7 emergency services and specialty care
- Board-certified specialists in fields such as oncology, neurology, and surgery
- Advanced diagnostic tools, including MRI and CT scans
- Offers remote consultations through telemedicine
4. PetVet Care Centers – Trusted Local Care with National Reach
- Over 300 locations across the United States
- 24-hour emergency care available at select locations
- Personalized care from experienced veterinary teams
- Comprehensive services, from preventive care to surgery and rehabilitation
- Offers pet boarding and grooming services
5. MedVet – The Expert Choice for Pet Emergencies
- Over 30 locations throughout the United States
- 24/7 emergency and critical care services
- Specializes in advanced diagnostic and treatment options
- Board-certified veterinary specialists in a variety of disciplines
- Collaborative care approach, working with your primary veterinarian
6. Animal Emergency & Specialty – Cutting-Edge Pet Care
- Over 20 locations across the United States
- 24-hour emergency services and specialty care
- Advanced treatment options, such as minimally invasive surgery and regenerative medicine
- Board-certified specialists in cardiology, dermatology, and other disciplines
- Offers pet hospice and palliative care for end-of-life support
7. Compassion-First Pet Hospitals – Partnering with You for Your Pet’s Health
- Over 40 locations in the United States
- 24/7 emergency care and comprehensive specialty services
- Focus on compassionate and empathetic care for pets and their families
- Collaborative approach, working with your primary veterinarian for seamless care
- Advanced diagnostic tools, such as digital radiography and endoscopy
8. VetCor – Exceptional Care from Local Experts
- Over 400 locations throughout the United States
- 24-hour emergency services available at select clinics
- Locally owned and operated, providing personalized care for your pet
- Wide range of services, from wellness exams to advanced surgical procedures
- Offers alternative therapies like acupuncture and chiropractic care
9. SAGE Veterinary Centers – Expertise and Innovation in Pet Health
- Multiple locations across California
- 24/7 emergency care and specialty services
- Industry-leading specialists in fields such as critical care and internal medicine
- Cutting-edge technology, including 3D printing and virtual reality surgical planning
- Collaborative and transparent approach to pet care
10. Ethos Veterinary Health – A Team Approach to Exceptional Care
- Over 20 locations throughout the United States
- 24-hour emergency services and specialty care
- Multidisciplinary approach, ensuring comprehensive care for your pet
- Focus on continuing education and clinical research to advance veterinary medicine
- Offers pet wellness programs and resources for pet owners
FAQs about 24-Hour Animal Hospitals
What should I do in case of a pet emergency?
Assess the situation and your pet’s condition calmly.
If possible, call your nearest 24-hour animal hospital to discuss your pet’s symptoms and get advice on immediate actions.
Safely transport your pet to the hospital, using a pet carrier or a blanket to minimize stress and injury.
Keep emergency contact numbers and directions to the nearest 24-hour animal hospital readily available.
How do I know if my pet needs emergency care?
Some common signs that your pet may need emergency care include:
- Difficulty breathing or excessive coughing
- Seizures or loss of consciousness
- Severe injury or trauma
- Ingestion of a toxic substance
- Persistent vomiting or diarrhea
- Swollen or hard abdomen
How much does a visit to a 24-hour animal hospital typically cost?
The cost of emergency veterinary care can vary depending on the severity of your pet’s condition and the required treatments.
Basic consultations and examinations may range from $100 to $250, while more complex procedures or treatments can increase the cost.
It’s essential to discuss payment options and any financial concerns with the hospital staff to understand what to expect.
Can I call a 24-hour animal hospital for advice if I’m unsure if it’s an emergency?
Yes, most 24-hour animal hospitals encourage pet owners to call if they’re unsure about their pet’s condition.
Veterinarians or trained staff can help you assess the situation and guide you on the appropriate course of action.
Keep in mind that they may still recommend bringing your pet in for an examination to ensure proper diagnosis and treatment.
What should I bring with me when visiting a 24-hour animal hospital?
Bring your pet’s medical records, including vaccination history and any previous diagnoses.
If your pet ingested a toxic substance, bring the packaging or a sample of the substance for identification.
Bring a list of any medications your pet is currently taking.
It’s also a good idea to bring a blanket or toy to help comfort your pet during the visit.
Will my regular veterinarian be updated about my pet’s emergency visit?
Most 24-hour animal hospitals will coordinate with your regular veterinarian to ensure seamless care for your pet.
Be sure to provide your veterinarian’s contact information during your visit.
Communication between the emergency hospital and your primary vet will help ensure that your pet receives the best possible ongoing care.
How can I find the nearest 24-hour animal hospital to my location?
You can search online for “24-hour animal hospital near me” to find options in your area.
Check the websites of national veterinary chains mentioned in this article, as they often have a location finder tool.
Keep a list of nearby 24-hour animal hospitals, their addresses, and contact information for easy access during an emergency.
What services can I expect at a 24-hour animal hospital?
- Emergency and critical care for life-threatening conditions
- Diagnostic services, including blood tests, X-rays, and ultrasound
- Surgical procedures for emergencies and specialized treatments
- Inpatient care and monitoring for critically ill pets
- Pain management and supportive care for various conditions
How can I prepare my pet for an emergency visit to a 24-hour animal hospital?
Remain calm to help reduce your pet’s anxiety during a stressful situation.
Gently restrain your pet using a carrier, blanket, or towel to minimize movement and prevent further injury.
If your pet is aggressive or in pain, consider using a muzzle to protect both you and the veterinary staff.
Avoid giving your pet food, water, or medication unless directed by a veterinarian, as it may interfere with diagnosis or treatment.
Are there any alternatives to visiting a 24-hour animal hospital?
Telemedicine services are available through some veterinary practices for non-emergency consultations or triage.
Reach out to your regular veterinarian for advice and guidance, as they may have after-hours services or recommend another clinic for emergencies.
Keep in mind that severe or life-threatening situations may still require immediate in-person care at a 24-hour animal hospital.
Can I visit a 24-hour animal hospital for non-emergency care?
While some 24-hour animal hospitals offer routine and preventative care services, it’s generally best to visit your regular veterinarian for non-emergency needs.
Utilize 24-hour animal hospitals primarily for emergencies or urgent care situations, as they are designed to handle critical cases and provide specialized treatments.
How do I know if a 24-hour animal hospital is reputable and offers quality care?
Look for accreditation from the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), which sets high standards for veterinary practices.
Check online reviews from other pet owners to gain insight into the hospital’s reputation and quality of care.
Ask your regular veterinarian for recommendations or referrals to trusted 24-hour animal hospitals in your area.
Consider visiting the hospital beforehand to familiarize yourself with the facility and ask questions about their services and staff qualifications.
What payment options are typically available at 24-hour animal hospitals?
Most 24-hour animal hospitals accept various forms of payment, such as credit cards, debit cards, cash, and checks.
Some hospitals may offer financing options or payment plans for more expensive procedures or treatments.
Pet insurance can also help cover the cost of emergency veterinary care; be sure to check your policy for coverage details.
Can I stay with my pet during their visit to a 24-hour animal hospital?
Policies regarding pet owners’ presence during treatment may vary between hospitals and depend on the situation.
In some cases, you may be allowed to stay with your pet during examinations or less critical procedures.
For more invasive procedures or surgery, you’ll likely be asked to wait in a designated area to ensure a sterile environment and the safety of your pet and the veterinary staff.
How can I prevent the need for emergency care for my pet?
Schedule regular wellness exams with your veterinarian to detect potential health issues early.
Keep your pet up-to-date on vaccinations and parasite prevention.
Provide a balanced diet, regular exercise, and mental stimulation to maintain your pet’s overall health.
Pet-proof your home to minimize the risk of accidents, injuries, or ingestion of toxic substances.
How long can I expect to wait at a 24-hour animal hospital?
Wait times at 24-hour animal hospitals can vary based on the number of patients, the severity of their conditions, and available staff.
Emergency hospitals prioritize patients based on the urgency of their condition, so more critical cases may be seen first.
Be prepared for potentially longer wait times during peak hours or weekends, and bring something to keep yourself occupied while you wait.
Are 24-hour animal hospitals equipped to handle exotic pets or wildlife?
Some 24-hour animal hospitals have veterinarians with expertise in treating exotic pets, such as birds, reptiles, and small mammals.
Contact your nearest 24-hour animal hospital to inquire about their experience and capabilities in treating exotic species.
For wildlife emergencies, consider contacting a local wildlife rehabilitation center or specialist for guidance.
What should I do if my pet requires ongoing care after visiting a 24-hour animal hospital?
The 24-hour animal hospital will provide you with detailed instructions for follow-up care and any necessary medications.
Schedule a follow-up appointment with your regular veterinarian to discuss your pet’s condition and ongoing treatment plan.
Monitor your pet closely for any changes in their condition or behavior, and contact your veterinarian if you have concerns or questions about their recovery.