5 Free or Low Cost Nearby Poodle Rescue
Poodle rescue organizations work to provide homes for abandoned, neglected, and unwanted Poodles. These organizations are often run by volunteers who are dedicated to finding the best possible homes for these dogs.
1. Mid-Atlantic Poodle Rescue, East Coast of the USA – PA, MD, VA
- Website: midatlanticpoodlerescue.org
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: (410) 963-0079
With volunteers from Maryland, Pennsylvania and Virginia, MAPR is dedicated to finding loving forever homes for Poodles and Poodle crosses surrendered or abandoned. They are an independent non-profit charity, with foster homes ready to care for the dogs until they are rehomed.
Along with their foster owners, MAPR also makes referrals to local shelters that have Poodles or Poodle mixes ready for adoption.
Adoption fees cover all vet treatment the dogs receive before being rehomed. This includes a vet check, spay or neuter surgery and vaccinations. As a registered charity, they rely on donations to be able to continue rescuing and rehoming dogs in need.
2. Oodles of Doodles Rescue Collective, NJ, USA
- Website: doodlerescuecollective.com
- Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
Since January 2009 Oodles of Doodles have been rescuing Poodle and Doodle dogs from kill shelters and finding them new, loving homes. While the dogs are behavior assessed and receiving vet treatment, they are placed with foster families who will shower them with love.
They do not use shelters themselves, believing that in-home fostering is the best way to help their rescued dogs decompress before finding their perfect owners. New owners have access to a supportive online community after adoption, so they can continue to receive help whenever they need it.
Although the charity is based in New Jersey, they help to rehome dogs right across North America. They are always on the lookout for new foster homes to add to their growing list of volunteers.
3. Poodle Rescue of Houston, TX, USA
- Website: poodlerescueofhouston.org
- Telephone: (713) 504-1224
- Address: Poodle Rescue of Houston, 13302 Schroeder Rd, Houston, TX 77070
Number 3 on our list of Doodle rescues is Poodle Rescue of Houston, established in 1999. Unlike other rescues on our list, PRH has a fantastic facility of enclosed exercise spaces and large indoor/outdoor kennels with doggie doors, so the dogs can access the outside whenever they wish.
On the one-acre donated land, PRH also has a veterinary clinic complete with a surgical suite, a grooming space and admin offices. To prevent the risk of disease being spread, their facility also boasts 4 quarantine buildings!
Potential adopters can spend time with the dogs in 1 of 5 visitation yards. This allows both the people and the dogs to get acquainted, cuddle and play as they wish.
PRH is a registered non-profit organization chartered by the state of Texas. Most of the dogs they rescue are strays, either injured or with special needs. Thanks to their on-site vet clinic, every dog is carefully assessed, spayed or neutered, groomed, treated for parasites and fleas, tested for heartworms and microchipped.
They often receive dogs from public shelters as well as the dogs they rescue as strays. These dogs are quarantined in dedicated buildings to ensure no transfer of disease. All this care comes at a cost and the charities rely on donations to cover the fees incurred.
4. Doodle Trust, UK
- Website: doodletrust.com
- Office: Doodle Trust, New Market St, Castle Douglas, DG7 1HY United Kingdom
Doodle Trust has been rescuing and rehoming Poodles and Doodles across the UK since 2007. The group of dedicated volunteers works tirelessly to fundraise, educate and raise awareness, as well as working with foster families and potential adopters to place dogs with the best forever homes.
All dogs rehomed by Doodle Trust are vet checked, vaccinated, spayed or neutered and given flea and worming treatment where necessary. Dogs will not be available to rehome until their treatment is complete and they have settled.
Every year they hose Doodlefest, beginning on the first Friday in August and running for the entire weekend. The event hosts stalls, parties, a Saturday dog show and much more.
5. Doodle Aid, UK
- Website: doodleaid.com
- Email: [email protected]
Holding the 5th spot on our list is a charity that does things differently. Doodle Aid is a registered charity covering England and Wales. Their philosophy is to help, rather than take over. The dogs they rehome are not the charity’s dogs. Instead, Doodle Aid works with current owners to match their Poodle or Poodle cross with the most suitable new owner.
The charity encourages continued communication between previous and new owners wherever the previous owners wish to. They understand that most dog surrenders are due to no fault of the owner and often beyond their control.
Occasionally, short-term foster homes are needed and Doodle Aid has a wonderful group of foster families to help care for the dogs until a new owner can be found. They rely entirely on donations and have a great list of fundraising ideas on their website.
Why should you adopt a rescue poodle?
Adopting a rescue poodle can be a rewarding experience for both the pet and the owner. Here are some reasons why you should consider adopting a rescue poodle:
- You will be saving a life: Rescue poodles are often in shelters due to no fault of their own, such as their owners no longer being able to care for them. By adopting a rescue poodle, you will be giving them a second chance at a loving home.
- You will be getting a well-behaved pet: Poodles are known for being intelligent and easily trainable, and many rescue poodles have already been trained and socialized. This means that they will be less likely to exhibit behavioral issues and will be easier to train.
- You will be getting a unique pet: Rescue poodles come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, and you are likely to find one that is a perfect fit for your family.
- You will be getting a pet at a lower cost: Adopting a rescue poodle typically costs less than buying one from a breeder. This is a great way to add a new member to your family without breaking the bank.
- You will be supporting a good cause: Adopting a rescue poodle helps support animal shelters and rescue organizations, which rely on adoptions to continue their work of rescuing and caring for animals in need.
Overall, adopting a rescue poodle can be a great way to add a loving, well-behaved, and unique companion to your family while supporting a good cause. It is also considered as a great way to make a difference in the life of a pet in need.