There was a huge controversy over a dog dying after eating a BarkBox treat. Many people are questioning whether the bully sticks or other treats are safe for dogs to eat.
“I’ve been ordering BarkBox for my fur baby, Charlie, for about a year now. At first, he loved all the treats and toys that were sent in his monthly box. But lately, I’ve noticed that after eating the treats, Charlie becomes very sick and has diarrhea. Is this normal?”
“We have a 10-month-old French Bulldog, and he has been having problems with diarrhea. We thought it was due to chicken in his food, so we switched him to Salmon. Things got better, but then he started eating the treats that came with his BarkBox subscription (his first box came 2 weeks ago). He still had diarrhea, so we stopped giving him the treats.”
“I have a 1-year-old Labradoodle who has been getting sick after eating the treats from my BarkBox. I’ve noticed that the treats are made in China and that there have been many reports of dogs getting sick from these treats. Is there anything you can do about this?”
Are the treats from BarkBox safe?
The treats from BarkBox are not the same as other dog treats. They come from local brands and contain natural ingredients. However, because they are all-natural products, some of the ingredients may make your dog sick. For example, if your dog is allergic to certain types of meat or nuts then these treats could cause vomiting and diarrhea.
In addition to allergies, dogs may have other sensitivities to foods that are not considered allergies. These include intolerances to certain ingredients and digestive issues. While it is not common for a dog to have an intolerance or similar sensitivity, it is important to watch your dog’s behavior after eating any treat or food.
You should also check with your vet about whether it’s safe for your dog to eat treat products like bones or chews. Some dogs are sensitive to these products which could cause vomiting and diarrhea too. If you’re concerned about any of the items in your BarkBox then contact customer service at 877-848-3058 or email them here: [email protected]
After all, BarkBoxes are very popular. If their products were consistently making dogs sick, everyone would know about it by now. And not only that, the company wouldn’t still be in business or be as popular as it is today.
Where does BarkBox get their treats?
BarkBox treats are made in the USA and Canada.
All of their treats and chews are sourced from ethical facilities that adhere to strict safety and quality standards. They hand-select every product based on your dog’s size and activity level.
Can dog treats cause an upset stomach?
Yes, it is possible for certain dog treats to cause an upset stomach. If your dog has food allergies or sensitivities, he may react to particular ingredients in the treat.
The good news is that most of these issues are temporary and will resolve on their own as long as you keep them hydrated and watch for any other signs of illness such as vomiting, diarrhea, or lethargy.
If your dog has food allergies or sensitivities, he may react to particular ingredients in the treat. Common allergens include beef, dairy, chicken and wheat. Dogs that are allergic to one type of protein are often allergic to multiple proteins. If you suspect your dog is allergic to a specific ingredient in his treats, try switching brands or talking to your vet about a special diet that avoids the allergen.
If your dog is sensitive to a particular ingredient but not actually allergic, he may display symptoms like gas, bloating and diarrhea when he eats that ingredient. This can happen with any type of food, including treats. It’s not necessarily dangerous unless it happens frequently enough to irritate your dog’s gastrointestinal tract. This may happen if you switch brands of dog treats too often or give him too many different types of treats at once.
Other possible causes of an upset stomach include eating spoiled meat, moldy foods, or other garbage that can make them sick. If your dog is vomiting or having diarrhea after eating a certain treat, contact your veterinarian immediately and stop feeding him those treats.
Takeaway: You can try giving them some pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling) which helps with GI issues due to its high fiber content or yogurt which has probiotics and will help calm the GI tract down. You can also try giving them some rice and boiled chicken for a few days until their system gets back to normal.
Positive reviews of BarkBox
Reviews of BarkBox were very positive. Consumers said that the treats were a huge hit with their dogs and loved the packaging. Many commented on how the treats stayed fresh and their dogs had no digestive issues. They also enjoyed the fact that all the ingredients were made in the USA and that they could choose between three different flavors.
“I received this box for free. Overall it’s a great box. I give it a 7/10 rating. You can get this box on Amazon or Petco. I recommend getting it from Amazon because there is a better variety of toys and treats. My cat loves the dog food in the box. The treats are good for cats, too!”
A review of “BarkBox Treats” on RetailMeNot said: “The BarkBox Treats subscription is a great way to try out new, unique treats and toys each month, or to give your pup a little something extra.”
“BarkBox Treats is an excellent way to give your dog a healthy treat. It is delivered straight to your door and you get a variety of treats to keep your dog happy every month.”
“I have been a Barkbox subscriber for almost 4 years now. I can’t say enough good things about this company – their products, customer service, and the community they’ve built.”
“I am not afraid to admit that I have become obsessed with this monthly box. It’s made me take more notice of all the products available on the market these days. My dog loves them, they’re so reasonably priced that it doesn’t break the bank if she totally destroys the toys.”
What dog treats are making dogs sick?
An estimated 7,600 dogs got sick and 3,600 died last year from eating pet food contaminated with an industrial chemical.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is investigating complaints that dog treats are making pets sick across the country.
The FDA said some dogs have died after eating chicken, duck, or sweet potato jerky treats made in China. The agency said it hasn’t identified a specific brand, ingredient, or supplier as the cause of illness.
The FDA recommends owners who see their pets experience vomiting, diarrhea, or decreased appetite after eating chicken jerky products consult a veterinarian. If you have questions about pet food safety, contact the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine at [email protected] or (240) 402-7002