When determining how much chicken and rice for dogs by weight, it is important to know the weight of your dog. Every dog is different and has different nutritional needs.
How much chicken and rice to feed a dog
As a general rule of thumb, you can feed your dog ¾ to 1 cup of chicken and rice per 10 lbs of body weight, and the ideal ratio per portion should be ⅔ rice to ⅓ chicken.
|Dog’s Weight (lbs)||Chicken and rice per day (cups)|
|10 lbs||¾ cup|
|20 lbs||1½ cups|
|30 lbs||2¼ cups|
|40 lbs||3 cups|
|50 lbs||3¾ cups|
|60 lbs||4½ cups|
|70 lbs||5¼ cups|
|80 lbs||6 cups|
The best way to find out how much you should feed your dog is by speaking with your veterinarian.
How much chicken and rice to feed a puppy
This is going to vary depending on the age, weight, and breed of your puppy, but I’ve provided some general guidelines below.
- 3-10 pounds: ¼ – 1 cup of food per meal
- 11-20 pounds: 1 – 2 cups of food per meal
- 21-40 pounds: 2 – 3 cups of food per meal
- 40+ pounds: 3+ cups of food per meal
Your puppy needs plenty of calories and protein to grow into a healthy adult dog. So it’s best to consult with your veterinarian to find out how much food your puppy should eat every day.
Can I feed my dog rice and chicken everyday?
Rice is a great source of carbohydrates for energy while chicken provides protein. Both are healthy ingredients to feed your dog, but it’s important to add fresh veggies as well. The vitamins and minerals in fresh veggies are not found in rice or chicken.
When feeding your dog chicken, look for fresh chickens instead of frozen ones so you can be sure it was not cooked with preservatives or other chemicals. Also, if you are planning on feeding your dog rice on a daily basis, avoid brown rice because white rice is much easier to digest and will not cause an upset stomach.
When feeding your dog any food, if there are any changes in your dog’s stool or behavior that you’re concerned about, talk with your vet. Your vet will be able to identify any health issues that may be impacting your dog’s overall health and provide advice on how to proceed with any diet changes.
Can I mix chicken and rice with dog food?
You can mix chicken and rice with dog food if your dog is a picky eater and doesn’t like to eat commercial dog food. Chicken and rice can be a healthy option for your dog as long as you incorporate them into his meals along with other fruits and vegetables.
A highly nutritious diet that provides all the necessary vitamins and nutrients a dog needs can be easily prepared for him. If you are looking to replace the commercial dog food with rice and boiled chicken, you should feed ¼ cup of chicken, ¼ cup of fruits and vegetables, and the remaining ½ cup with your carbohydrates such as sweet potato or rice. The combination of fruit and vegetables will give your pet’s meal a well-rounded nutritional value.
It’s a good idea to first consult your vet about an appropriate diet for your dog.
Why do vets recommend chicken and rice?
If your dog has an upset stomach, diarrhea, or vomiting, you might want to put her on chicken and rice. It’s one of the recommended foods veterinarians often prescribe to help dogs recover from gastrointestinal distress or surgery.
It’s important to note, however, that the chicken used should be plain, boiled chicken. Chicken with any added seasonings or sauces can cause diarrhea in dogs.
The flavor is not something you want to worry about when your pet has diarrhea or an upset stomach because you don’t want to exacerbate the problem by feeding them a diet that makes them feel worse. This is why vets will tell owners to feed a bland diet of white rice and boiled chicken.
Contact your veterinarian for specific instructions on how to feed him homemade chicken and rice.
Alternatives to chicken and rice for dogs
Many dog owners feed their dogs chicken and rice for various reasons. Some do it because it is considered a bland diet, and some because it is economical. A chicken and rice diet is not complete or balanced nutrition for your dog, but it can be used as a short-term solution to an upset stomach. However, there are many alternatives to chicken and rice that may work just as well and are more nutritious.
- Turkey: Turkey is another lean meat that is rich in protein, niacin, selenium, B vitamins, phosphorus, and zinc. It also contains tryptophan which helps keep your dog calm. You can use ground turkey or even pieces of turkey breast to add variety to your dog’s diet.
- Fish: Mix some broiled white fish such as cod or tilapia with brown rice or oatmeal.
- Ground beef: If your dog has an upset stomach you can cook the meat without any spices or oil first. You may want to add a little water to help the meat cook softer if your dog has a very sensitive stomach. Ground beef should not be fed raw because of the risk of food poisoning from bacteria.
- Ground lamb: Lamb is another great source of protein that is also rich in essential micronutrients like iron and zinc as well as omega-3 fatty acids.
- Vegetables: Chop vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, green beans, squash, and sweet potatoes into small pieces and mix with ground meat, rice or oatmeal.
- Canned dog food (there are many brands available) can contain all the nutrients your dog needs without having to cook it at home. They even make special formulas for sensitive stomachs.
- A combination of quality dry kibble with canned food may provide your dog with everything they need while also keeping their teeth clean. Some dogs will eat kibble by itself but others will refuse it, so adding canned food may entice them to eat it.
Can chicken and rice make a dog constipated?
Many dogs are fed a bland diet to help them with diarrhea. Unfortunately, dogs may get constipated when eating just chicken and rice. The chicken and rice diet is easy on the stomach, but it doesn’t have much fiber. This can make it hard for the stool to move through the colon. Add some vegetables to your dog’s meal every day to help prevent constipation.
Other causes of constipation in dogs include:
- Dietary changes – Sometimes sudden dietary changes or even just adding in a new food item can cause constipation in dogs. Make sure that you are not switching your dog’s food recently or feeding them new items without giving their bodies time to adjust to the change.
- Not enough drinking water – Dogs need plenty of water per day, especially when they are eating more foods that require more digestion than usual, so make sure your dog is drinking plenty of water if they seem like they’re having trouble moving things along.
- Lack of exercise – Not getting enough exercise can lead to constipation in dogs because it slows down the digestion of food through the body’s activity.
Conclusion of how much chicken and rice for dogs
Many pet owners wonder how much chicken and rice to feed a dog. This is especially true when the dog is sick, and it’s also a common question among first-time puppy owners.
Chicken and rice are safe for dogs to eat, provided they are cooked properly. They can even be included in your dog’s regular diet if they are mixed with their regular food.
Dogs will enjoy this meal due to its high protein content and its ease on the digestive system. It’s a particularly good choice for a sick dog because it is bland, easy to digest, and will give them extra energy. Some vets even recommend that you add broth or water to make this meal easier on the stomach.
You can feed your dog chicken and rice at every meal if you want to. However, it’s probably best to limit it to 50% of their daily caloric intake so they get enough nutrition from other foods. Ideally, the commercial food you use should have the right balance of nutrients required for your dog’s age, size and activity level.
If you decide to try a chicken and rice diet, start slowly by mixing a small amount with their food each day. Then gradually increase the amount over several days until they’re eating 100% chicken, rice, and vegetables. This will let their digestive system adjust so they don’t get diarrhea or other intestinal upset.
It’s best not to add any seasonings to the chicken and rice. Your dog doesn’t need salt or spices like garlic, onion, or black pepper which are toxic for dogs.
We suggest mixing chicken and rice with their normal kibble or canned food rather than giving it as a replacement. You should also consult your vet before adding any new foods into your dog’s diet, especially if they have an underlying health condition.